Monday, February 8, 2010

Brigg's date

We are doing a babysitting swap with two other couples. So one Saturday a month we watch all the kids but 2 Saturdays a month we get to go out. It is a great way to save money and still have a social life with the Hub. This past Saturday was one of our nights to go out. We had our plans to join some other adults for dinner and then Loren received some tickets to a basketball game from a doctor that he works with so our plans changed. We decided to take Brigg with us because there was an extra ticket and he is interested in basketball. At first I was annoyed at the thought of one of my children invading my time alone with Loren, I love my kids but I really love my nights out. After I pouted to myself for a few minutes I realized how cool this could be. Brigg thoroughly enjoyed himself, he got a popcorn and one of those sugar filled straw thingys at the game. Then we went out to dinner at this great Mexican restaurant.
I have never really taken the boys out one on one before, other than the occasional trip to the store or something like that. Nothing planned out just for them. Loren has been able to do that, and I felt it was important for him because he does not get to see the boys as much as I do. He just finished his round with all of the boys and Brigg said the sweetest thing, he said that now it is my turn to do something with the each of the boys alone. We have decided that once a month on our dates we will take one of the boys with us and do something special with them. I will still have my own time with them too, when ever we can plan it. At first I felt guily at the thought of taking them somewhere fun without the the other ones. They are so close in age and they really enjoy the same things, but I know they love having all of the attention. When Loren took Jaxon on his date, he wanted to go to McDonalds. We asked Jaxon if he wanted his brothers to go too so he would have someone to play with. He said "NO, THIS IS MY DATE!!!" My boys know they are all loved but I have realized that they all need their own time.
Brigg lost one of his top teeth, you can't really tell because when he smiles the bottom tooth fills the gap quite nicely. I am 3 for 3 on pulling out the teeth in this house. On a funny note, Tyden's top two teeth are loose. He is 4 and normally the bottom are the first to go. We will see if they stay wiggely as Tyden likes to say.

3 comments:

Alli Blue said...

I feel that same guilt about only taking one out at a time. I know it is so important, but I am sucj a "fair" person. Everything has to be the same! I need to work on it!

Nikki said...

first of all I am really glad that this post was not about Brigg going out on his own date - with a girl. Stresses me out...
secondly - strangely enough Karina lost her top teeth first, too. She has lost four so far, and three are already entirely in...

Cathy said...

I love that idea of taking them each out on a "date". They do need that one on one with mom & dad. It probably also gives you an opportunity to see a side of them that doesn't come out when they are in a group...you can appreciate just him for a whole evening. :) Thanks for the idea!