Monday, December 6, 2010

Central Park

It all began the summer of 2000. It was the end of June, and I was in NYC, nannying for a family. The family I was working for was out of town so some friends and I planned a group date, we were going to play kickball in Central Park then go home to the place I was living and hangout. We wanted even teams, so every girl was to make sure she had a date. A friend of mine called Loren and asked him to go, he said no. He was not interested in this girl and did not want to give her the wrong idea. So another friend called Loren's buddy Mark and asked him to go. He said yes. She asked him to bring Loren because we needed more guys. I had heard all about Loren but I had not met him yet. My friend, the one who asked him out, was crazy about him. She called "dibs" and said this was the man she was going to marry.
Friday night rolls around and we head down to Columbus Circle for everyone to meet up. I was wearing a pink tank top, this is what Loren remembers first about me. When he and Mark walked around the corner he tells Mark that he "gets" the one in pink. I remember he had a nervous smile that I thought was super cute. We headed over to the park for some kickball then went across the street to my apartment when it got dark. I casually watched him during the games, I don't think we were even on the same team, but I was watching him. At my home, we ate food and played that random "I have never" game. He remembers me admitting that I pee in the shower. Who doesn't? The other girls there were very hesitant to answer that one, I wasn't. I remember him helping me get plates and silverware for everyone when the food came. I am not sure what it was in particular but I knew that night that he was the one.
Saturday He and Mark had plans to fly to Florida because they were working for Jet Blue and could fly for free. They flew there and it was raining so they turned around and flew home. I had plans to take my friend Lindsay, who was visiting, out to some clubs. Loren and Mark joined us for dancing then it was back to my place again. Sunday we went to church together. After church (everyone went out for dinner on Sundays, it was weird) we went out to a Brazilian restaurant that Mark wanted to go to. Loren and Mark both served their missions in Brazil. It was a whopping 50 bucks a plate and they payed!
I think we saw each other every night for the next 2 weeks. One night at his house I told him I needed to make a decision. I had to decide to; stay and nanny for the family, go home to Boise, or move to Arizona. He replied with a "why would you move to Arizona?" I said, and I quote, "to be your wife silly!" He had a very frightened look on his face and I went home very nervous that I had just scared him away. It took him a few more weeks to realize that I was the real deal.
If you are keeping track that is only about a month together. My job was done and I was ready to go home. He wasn't done working for a few more weeks, then he would return to Mesa and go back to school at ASU. We talked on the phone and made plans for him to come to Boise at the end of August. He met my family and asked my dad's permission. 2 weeks later I flew to mesa over Labor day weekend. While I was there he lit the mountain on fire and proposed!
I did not move to Az until the middle of October and I stayed with my uncle until we got married. While we were apart we talked on the phone every day. If you know Loren then you know phone skills are not his specialty. I was so excited to move to Az, just so I did not have to talk to him on the phone any more. We were married in the Mesa Arizona Temple for time and all eternity on November 25, 2000.Subway ride home from Jones beach in NY.

Me leaving NYC to fly home to Boise. I am wearing the pink tank top.

My brother took pictures of us for possible engagement photos. We weren't even engaged yet.



This is the one we used. Funny, looking back on it I like the other ones better. They were more colorful and playful, we look so serious here.

4 comments:

Alli Blue said...

That was so cute Claire! The best part was that as I was reading it, in my side vision I could see the pictures of your boys on the side of your blog! It was touching to read how you met, and now you have these three little tug boats who were waiting for you guys!

tenacious d said...

What a fun story! It's weird to think that we were there at the same time, just blocks from each other.

I didn't know that Loren went to Brazil on his mission. Rowdy is trying to learn Brazilian Portuguese. They should get together sometime and talk.

Byron and Jana said...

AWWW sweet! Oh the days as newlyweds together....so fun!!

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

Aww, good times! Fun to relive your courtship again. :) You were definitely meant to be together! I'm pretty sure I took a couple of those pics too. Ok, the one thing I remember about the Jones beach trip too, was yours and Lindsays sunburns. Ouch!!