Saturday, August 27, 2011

the story

I remember all of my kids birth stories pretty well. Brigg came on his own at 39 weeks. I was having contractions all day on Saturday and they continued to get stronger into Sunday morning. We checked in the hospital at 8:30. Around 11 I got and epidural and at 1 they broke my water. At 2:18 we were holding Brigg in our arms. I was induced with Tyden at 37 weeks. The story is almost the same, we checked in around 10. Got started on pitocin, next came the epidural. They broke my water around 3 and Tyden was born at 4:13. Jaxon was another induction at 37 1/2 weeks, it was Super bowl Sunday and another similar story. Check in, epidural, pitocin, break my water...about an hour later during halftime Jaxon was born at 4:47.
During my last doctor appt the midwife asked me about my past inductions and I basically said that all you need to do is give me and epidural, pitocin, break my water, give me and hour and I will give you a baby. She thought that sounded great and got me all jazzed up talking about how we were going to have a baby by noon. D-day finally rolls around and we get to the hospital at 8:30 and the first thing the midwife says is that she is going to give me a pill that will "naturally induce labor." I am not a patient person and usually the word "natural" just means "slower." Indeed it was! I did not want to be a difficult patient so I did as I was told. I was to sit in bed for and hour then get up and walk around. While I was walking around I asked the midwife if we could just start the pitocin. "Oh no, we have to wait for 3 hours for this to leave your system before we can give you that." I almost choked, but again just did as I was told. For the next few hours, Loren and both of his parents and I watched tv and visited. They enjoyed lunch while I ate my ice chips and napped off and on. At 1 they start a bag of IV fluid that I had to have before they would give me an epidural. Finally at 2:15 I got and epidural, next came the pitocin. Around 3 I asked them to break my water, the nurse said the midwife wanted to wait an hour and see if the pitocin will do it for me. After a lifetime of waiting they come in to break my water. The midwife is amazed at how quickly I progress just during that process. Then she leaves the room saying, or challenging me, "let's see this baby in an hour." I was a little nervous that I would have to eat my words and my body would not do as it had done in the past. No need to worry, 45 quick minutes later Loren is able to help deliver our baby girl.
I don't mean to complain, my patients was shot! Most moms to be are all done at this point and are very anxious to meet their little ones. I appreciate all who took care of me at the hospital and their cautious nature. My baby was never in distress and I guess I did get relax before she came.
Cali has been a wonderful baby so far. She sleeps all the time, I have to wake her to feed her. The boys love her to pieces! Most of the time they fight over who gets to sit by her in the car. They do take turns when it comes to who's bed she lays in while we say prayers at night. A few nights after she was born we were watching a movie as a family. Loren was smooshed on one couch with all the boys sharing a bowl of popcorn. Me, Cali and the dog were sitting on the other. I was so at peace, my family is all here.

3 comments:

Alli Blue said...

Glad it all went so well! And there is a great peace knowing you have them all here! Good for you!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Congratulations on new baby Cali..love the name and glad you are all doing well!

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

Glad it all went well!! I think I would have had a few words for the midwife, so I'm glad you're nicer than I am! :) Congrats again!! Oh, and make sure to tell Loren I'm not the only one who read it! lol