I often say that my kids ages are all out of whack! Brigg thinks he is 12 already, Tyden is content with being 4 but Jaxon thinks he is just as big as the other two boys. Last weekend we went to Mesa for Loren's brothers homecoming. While we were there Jax was outside paying with the cousins and forgot that he is only 2 years old. Tyden climbed to the top of the swing set and jumped off. Jaxon decided to try the same thing, and this is what happened....
A broken humerus. (plus a severe allergic reaction to sunscreen on his face)
We went to an urgent care in Mesa and got an x-ray. They put him in a soft cast and sent us on our way with intsructions to go to a pediatric orthopedist when we got home to San Diego.
In San Diego the doctor asked me "has anyone explained this type of injury to you?". I briefly told him "yes, my hub is a resident and he told me that surgery was a possibility."
The doc responds with a "good, I was worried that you would be blind sided with the news."
He finishes the details of the surgery, we schedule it for the next day. I walk out of the office with Jaxon in tow, put on my sunglasses and began to cry. I was so nervous and anxious about the pain and discomfort that my little boy would have to go through that I was overwhelmed with emotion.
That night we explained to all of the boys what was going to happen the next day. Loren gave Jaxon a Fathers blessing and also gave me one as well. The spirit is so calming and reassuring. I am so thankful for my Father in Heaven.
Jax was not able to eat anything Wednesday morning. I gave him his last bath for a long time and thankfully he fell asleep before we had to go to the hospital. So not to much whining about being hungry.
Jax was a champ while we waited for 3 plus hours at the hospital before the surgery. He even fell asleep in my arms when the nurse came to take him away. It may sound silly but it was hard to let him go. I don't know how parents of sick children are able to deal with all that goes on. I was a wreck and it was only his arm. It was about 2 hours before we were able to see him again. They did not go fast, I was so relieved when I finally saw him. He was so sad, sleepy and confused when he saw us. I scooped him up in my arms and we sat there for about 2 more hours until he was able to go home.
It was a rough few hours after that but once his little body kicked the anesthesia he ate some food and went right to sleep. I did not know what to expect the next day, but he was great! Climbing everything in sight and running around like normal. With all of the fret and worry I had experienced the past few days, I felt like I got hit by a bus.


9 comments:
O my gosh, I was heartbroken for you. I can only imagine... Clearly this is as hard on us emotionally as it is on them physically.
You deserve a nap. I hope you get one! I am glad that he is doing so well!
Oh Claire! I'm so sorry. I've got a few of those 'think they're older' toddlers running around. Give that sweet boy a hug for me!
what are we going to do with these crazy boys!!! i'm going to call you soon, i promise--miss you!
I would be a wreck, too, if one of my kids had to go into surgery. Glad he did great! And you're right, he doesn't even act like anything happened to his arm!
That whole thing made me so sad to read! Must be a mom thing!
Your dad and I remember when you dislocated your hip trying to keep up with your big bros. It's a very hard thing seeing your child suffer. Glad it all turned out so well. Lots of love to Jax :-)
so hard for you! we went through a surgery with Nathan too and there is so much relief when you get to finally hold them again! I can totally relate.
wow clair!So you were in MESA hmmmmm?????????? Man what do we gotta do to win some time with the Spencers...huh?????
I can't believe how it went from soft cast to surgery! And nor the cracked noggin???? he is definatly going to make you gray early!!!! But he is do darn CUTE!
Oh man Claire, I'm so sorry!! So glad everything is ok though. What a tough thing! Ugh! Boys! :)
Post a Comment